SAKSHAM special school was formed a husband-wife team, both physiotherapists, in response to a question from a 6-year old child with Cerebral Palsy, "Mummy, why am I not going to school"; "I don't wish to go to school, I am teased by everyone".
SAKSHAM's mission is to develop children (from the lowest echelon of the society) with disability to become independent and productive citizens of India. Specifically:
• Provide learning center for children not eligible for regular school
• Prepare children with disability to be eligible for regular school
• Provide medical, mental and physical rehabilitation at a minimal cost
SAKSHAM Special School was started in mid 2014 with 5 students
on the premises of Physiocare Dewas. Within 6 academic years the student population has increased to 30, which includes children with Cerebral Palsy, Autism, Down Syndrome, Mental Retardation and Deafness/Hearing Loss. The current survey of the city of Dewas showed that around 300 such students need special facilities, such as SAKSHAM, for their proper growth.
The Covid 19 crisis in India has severely impacted the parents of these children financially. They no longer can afford to pay a meager tuition of $9 per month and the transportation cost to get their children from their home to Saksham. In addition, because of the total lockdown, both physiotherapists have not had any income at all. Consequently, Saksham is in dire need of financial support to get them thru this COVID 19 pandemic period.
This district grant will -
• provide financial support to Saksham over a period of next six months
• During this period Saksham will waive the tuition fee,
• provide transportation
• teach children proper hygiene and safety habits
• provide Personal Protective Equipment (to include masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, etc.).
This effort will enable children to again start engaging in activities that are so vital to their well being and development. We think six months is a long enough period for Saksham and the children's families to return to normalcy both economically and emotionally.
Estimated time to completion will be 6 months following the availability of funds.