kindo is typically rural with one road cutting through, but poor feeder roads. The nearest medical services are in a radius of 8 miles. Only 7% of the population has electricity. There are five primary schools all lacking major tools for learning.
The main source of livelihood is agriculture with 80% engaged in growing plantains at a subsistence level. Diversity of agriculture is needed. Over-dependence on one crop has not increased income in Rukindo.
Malnutrition is significant. There is a high death rate from malaria and little or no access to safe water.
I. To design a mechanism of reducing general poverty in the community.
II. To improve community health.
III. To increase household incomes.
IV. To promote and improve the quality of primary education in Rukindo.
I. Health-Malaria Prevention
Objectives for I:
1.To sensitize the community about malaria control using mosquito nets, their management and environmental management.
2. To provide insecticide treated mosquito nets (to children and pregnant women) for prevention of malaria.
3. To provide a solar system to Kitagata Health Center as well as a water tank (see II) for water harvesting from roofs.
Implementation would be over one year, but oversight for two years with site visits.
II. Water and Sanitation - Rain Water Harvest
Objectives for II:
1. To construct rain water harvesting tanks in 3 locations including Kitagata Health Center and two of the 8 cells of Rukindo.
2. To ease accessibility of safe water by the entire Rukindo Parish.
Implementation would be one year with oversight to make sure the community committees are working properly in the distribution of the stored water.
III. Sustainable Agriculture and Livestock Integration
1. To provide improved livestock to families for improved household nutrition and income.
2. To sensitize the people of Rukindo on soil conservation and livestock management.
3. To improve on food security in the community.
IV. Child Development
1. To provide basic textbooks for school children.
2. To carry out a birth registration program.
Item Uganda shillings
1.0 Malaria prevention 30,700,000=
2.0 Water and sanitation 31,095,000=
3.0 livestock development 10,405,000=
4.0 Child Development 52,300,000=
Total 124,500,000 Exchange rate 3200:1 =US$38,906