GLOBAL GRANT PROJECT - SANTIAGO ISLAND (GG GG2093486)
Total Project Value - 30.300,00 USD
The budget for this project is $30,300 and we need to raise $14,300 or $ 7150,00 DDF so we can install the project in 2020.
WHAT DO WE PROPOSE TO DO?
The program we propose to develop from 2019 onwards aims to:
• Supply the school populations with 1 hole of drinking water.
• Be able to minimize diseases transmitted by the consumption of nondrinking water.
• Build or rehabilitate sanitary facilities of the intervened schools.
• Sensitizing and informing beneficiaries of the importance of maintaining and
managing water points
COMMUNITY OR INSTITUTION TO BE BENEFITED
Comunidade bairro de Fonton, is located in the south of the municipality of Praia, of the island of Santiago. This community has been benefiting largely from the solid work done by the Associação Comunitária para o Desenvolvimento de Fonton in different social areas
COMMUNITY GROUPS THAT WOULD RECEIVE A CLEAR, DIRECT AND IMMEDIATE BENEFIT AS A RESULT OF THIS PROJECT.
The Global health program that seeks to promote health, combating poverty and inequalities through partnerships, would have as direct beneficiaries all inhabitants of the Bairro de Fonton ,as well as the most disadvantaged social areas in the neighborhoods, Bairros de Tira Chapeu, Palmarejo and Achada de Santo António.
DEMOGRAPHIC DATA OF BENEFICIARIES.
The Bairro de Fonton has about 800 inhabitants, and the 3 neighboring have about 30,000 inhabitants. We estimate that this program will benefit more than 2,000 people.
The assessement and needs evaluation has been made during the last 6 months in the context of the work developed by Estimulo and the local communities.
WHO PARTICIPATED IN THE EVALUATION FROM THE COMMUNITY?
The evaluation was made by Estimulo, along with the Associação Comunitária para o Desenvolvimento de Fonton,, Associação Infanto-Juvenil de Fonton, the Rotary Club of Praia Maria Pia, the municipality of Praia and a group of women representing the greatest force of income and work of the community.
WHAT NEEDS WILL THE PROJECT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT?
1. Construction of sanitary facilities for children and users of programs promoted to community 2. Construction of a training space for the different communal programs, in the context of maternal and childhood health and primary care, as well as support for teachers and educators who support the Associação Infanto-Juvenil de Fonton, under the Sustainable community Development 3. Construction of space for the preparation of small meals for children, with adequate hygiene and health care. 4. Installation of drinking water distribution system by water tank to all referenced infrastructure. 5. Community training in maternal and childhood health, primary care and community development Generically, the identified needs, will all be fulfilled under this programme.
WHAT ARE THE STRENGTHS OR RESOURCES FROM THE COMMUNITY?
The community in question is very proactive, and the history of working with these people is of great involvement and personal delivery. All phases of the program's organization, as well as construction of the infrastructures will count on the gracious work of the community, and the local associations mentioned above, shall be responsible for the maintenance and supervision of the equipment.
CONSIDERING THE NEEDS AND STRENGTHS STATED ABOVE, HOW WAS THE MAIN OBJECTIVE OF THE PROJECT DEFINED?
Since, in the community there were: 1. Clear deficiencies in hygiene and health conditions;
2. Scarcity of access to drinking water; 3. Absence of strategies for disease prevention, transmitted due to lack of hygiene conditions 4. Pressing needs of community training for their sustainable development, as well as in various areas of health and primary care and that: 1. The community has the capacity and willingness to participate in the proposed programmes. 2. There are local community associations capable of coordinating and maintaining infrastructure in the future and it has been understood that: 1. The main objective would be to equip the community with a structure that would reap all the needs identified, consolidating its building by associating it with a solid, diversified and sustainable training programme.
HOW CAN THE PROPOSED ACTIVITIES IN THE PROJECT ACHIEVE THE MAIN OBJECTIVE?
The construction of infrastructures, as well as the proposed training programme, will bring all the identified needs into line, thus achieving the proposed objectives.
WHAT CHALLENGES PREVENTED COMMUNITIES ALONE FROM ACHIEVING THE OBJECTIVES PROPOSED BY THE PROJECT?
To date, this community had never see these objections achieved by clear financial shortages and lack of resources.
HOW IS THE COMMUNITY MANAGING THESE DIFFICULTIES TODAY?
The community has sought solutions, nevertheless has suffered from the consequences of the precariousness of the hygiene and health conditions in which they live, which had been explained to ESTIMULO.
WHY ARE THE ACTIVITIES OF THIS PROJECT THE BEST WAY TO RESPOND THE NEEDS OF THE COMMUNITY?
Clearly, the proposed activities are the appropriate strategy to equip the community with: 1. Sanitary facilities for children and users of programs promoted to community. 2. Creation of training space for the different Community programmes, in the context of maternal and childhood health, primary care, as well as support for 13Dream Rotary and connects the world teachers and educators who support the Associação Infanto-Juvenil de Fonton in the context of a Sustainable community development. 3. Creating space for the preparation of small meals for children, with appropriate hygiene and health care. 4. Installation of drinking water distribution system by water tank to all referenced infrastructure.