PROJECT PROPOSAL FOR PLANTING TREES IN ROAD RESERVES ALONG MPIGI- KANONI - KABULASOKE - MADDU HIGHWAY AND IN SELECTED PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOL IN GOMBA DISTRICT.
1. Project goal
To conserve, protect and restores creation and save the worlds environment and Eco-system.
The project's overall objective is the restoration and conservation of the environment in Gomba and Sembabule Districts.
3. Specific objectives
To implement community education on environment conservation.
To introduce and popularize energy saving technology, economic charcoal cookers and alternative sources of cooking energy to gradually take place of charcoal and fire wood.
To popularize environment conservation education in primary and secondary schools.
To establish an environment portfolio in the Districts to coordinate and supervise conservation project.
The project will be managed by Rotary Club of Kabulasoke Gomba and the project steering committee will be established. The project contact persons will be the overall supervisor of activities to review the performance at all levels and down to the community.
5. Monitoring and Evaluation
The monitoring will be done regularly based upon the indicators set in the project document. Mid-term evaluation will be done at the end of each year of project life. The external evaluation will be conducted at mid term and project close after three years.
6. Project output
Develop strong networks for stakeholders in tree planting for promoting sustainable environmental conservation programs with in communities in project area.
At least 30,000 trees planted as community forests during the three year plan.
25 tree nursery bed established for the community to access seedlings for planting
Streamlined Monitoring and evaluation framework for the project
Communities sensitized on Environmental protection and climate change, conservation walk and annual green week event organized every year and held at community levels.
Tree planting and environmental management committees formed at all levels.
Training of Trainers (TOTs) conducted. Tree planting plan of various indigenous trees made.
Tree Nursery beds developed both in schools and at community levels. Consultative meetings with government ensured. Other efficient means of cooking materials established and promoted eg. Bio-gas, energy saving stoves, Acacia trees, Calliandra
Agro -forestry promoted as a means of sustaining the environment.
Strong Partnership with government & community in the tree-planting sector developed.
Atleast six conferences on climate change and tree planting for local leaders and head teachers held.
7. Project activities
Forestation and Afforestation activities
• Start 3 tree nurseries at centres in Gomba District
• Organize radio debates/programs or talk to schools and call in programes at regular intervals.
• Organize 6 conferences on tree planting for the community Leaders, civic leaders, opinion leaders and head teachers who should go back and pass on the information.
• Organize 3 Trainers' Workshop on tree planting.
• Continue with consultative talks with the government on tree planting.
• Put in place tree planting plan and encourage planting of various indigenous species.
• Visit various schools educating them on tree planting and conservation of nature.
• Promote the development and use of other efficient means other than using a lot of firewood and charcoal e.g. using modern fireplaces, use of Bio-gas, use of sun heat, etc.
• Develop partnership with government in the tree-planting sector.
• With the help of Forestry personnel identify variety of tree seedlings for different ecological zones.
• Provide seedlings for the selected schools and the community .
• Promote the use of alternative energy sources.
• Promote the growing of wood for fuel instead of relying on forests.
• Encourage and promote planting of trees that can later be harvested for fire wood e.g Acacia trees, Calliandra, etc
• Promote the use of agro forestry especially with people that have small pieces of land.
8. Methodology of implementation
National Forestry Authority is located in all the selected districts and they will be working with the communities, schools, youths and women groups on the project areas and Rotary Club of Kabulasoke Gomba will spearhead the successful implementation of the project. The contribution of each partner will be as follows:
For the Rotary Club of Kabulasoke Gomba
Project design, planning & management Publicity& awareness creation
Use Rotary Club of Kabulasoke Gomba wide branch network as focal points for facilitating regular interactions and visits between Rotary Club of Kabulasoke Gomba groups and schools with a view to enhancing and high lighting Rotary Club of Kabulasoke Gomba corporate & social responsibility
Community mobilization in the planting of trees.
Supply of high quality, fast growing seedlings
Technical support and oversight on tree planting and management
Training of selected women and youth groups and schools
Distribution of tree seedlings to schools, women and youth groups in the two Districts.
For National Forestry Authority
Trainer of trainees on the importance of trees
Technical support and oversight on tree planting and management.
Providing land for women and youth grounds for tree planting.
5.0 Recommendations and way forward:
Without doubt, the Eco-Schools Project presents a unique opportunity and challenge where Rotary Club of Kabulasoke Gomba can take the lead and make the difference in reversing deforestation in Uganda. It provides the best entry point for Rotary Club of Kabulasoke Gomba with a long-term vision for growing and expanding into other approaches as more experience is gained and additional resources leveraged.