BRIDGING THE DIGITAL DIVIDE: MOTHER TONGUE BASED LANGUAGE LABS IN ONE MAGNET SCHOOL AND 5 SATELLITE/SPOKE INSTITUTIONS AROUND RAJANUKUNTE, BANGALORE, INDIA.
Major activities are:
1. Setting up a Language Lab so Kannada and other mother tongue medium children are digitally enabled and reduce digital divide
2. Setting up first of its kind Ka-Naada hardware mother tongue hardware keyboards and their usage with low-cost pocket servers and pocket computers
3. Deploy content in Kannada and other mother tongue so the lab content supports Reinforced Learning methods and children can think and type in their mother tongue for the first time.
4. Speed typing training and learning to type English as well on Ka-Naada multilingual keyboard.
5. Setup a local network with ups, so server and switch will function with electricity and internet failures
6. Train Language Lab Assistant on computer fundamentals, to run the lab once or twice a week, after hours with volunteers and impart leadership skills in children
7.Implement train the trainer programs.
8. Network five rural schools with hub magnet school
9. Conduct training for teachers from spoke schools at Magnet school for creating digital content and impact assessment
10. Provide average 40 keyboards per school per year to students to take home and practice.
11. Handhold this over two academic years at the six schools.
More details in the DRAFT Global Grant 2233996 Application