It is an initiative that is dreamed, projected and shaped.
Today, the environment is not an option, it is already a priority, which is why we want to promote and attend to it, as one of the areas of interest of the Rotary Foundation, for this reason I inform you of the following:
1 A treasure of incalculable value is hidden in the Mexican seas and coasts. The Mexican maritime territory is home to 10% of the world's biodiversity and a great variety of ecosystems are developed in it.
2. The protection and conservation of this natural and/or artificial wealth is a fundamental element to ensure the sustainable development of the nation.
And according to publications of the National Commission of Natural Protected Areas, the creation of artificial reefs is a viable option to conserve and recover natural marine ecosystems since:
1. They reduce the pressure on natural reefs exposed to over-exploitation.
2. They give impetus to sustainable tourism.
3. Economic development of local communities in harmony with nature.
4. They reduce illegal fishing by hindering the use of trawling nets, among others.
5. It is known that these sinkings, to create an artificial reef, favor the creation of habitats, refuge and growth of marine flora and fauna, so we are sure that this would bring great benefit to the environment, to the communities, to the increase the tourist attraction of the destination, as well as increase the number of local, national and international visitors, generating a greater economic impact.
A. Advantages of the Project
1. Positive impact on the Environment.
Rotarians, as leaders in our community, have grown under unwavering principles of respect for nature. We firmly assume our global responsibility for the conservation of the planet.
a. Ecological importance: Reefs contribute to the development of coastal communities.
b. Creation of: habitats, refuge and growth of marine flora and fauna.
c. Environmental heterogeneity.
d. Reduce/relieve the tourist burden on natural reefs. and. They are part of the protection against hurricanes.
2. Economic Spill
a. Tourism:Local, national and international.
c. Service providers: Maritime transport, diving schools, hotels, restaurants, etc.
3. Creation of scientific research areas and participation of Educational Institutions, for the formulation of theses for bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees on growth, reef evolution, flora, fauna and other topics related to marine biodiversity and the environment.
ITSON (Technological Institute of Sonora) and CETMAR Guaymas (Center for Technological Studies of the Sea).
4. Community Involvement.
The sum of wills in a sense of community unity involving the public sector at three levels (municipal, state and federal) private sector, Rotary International, Environment Sustainability Rotarian. Action Group ESRAG, WASRAG, NGOs, environmentalists, legislators, media, educational institutions, etc. with the good will to do good in the world. United we are stronger.
5. Knowledge: Generate and disseminate traditional or new knowledge, practices and technologies that enable the preservation, decision-making and sustainable use of biodiversity. a. Culture: Disseminate conservation actions, awareness, promoting the active participation of surrounding communities that generate the valuation of environmental services, through identity, dissemination and education for the conservation of the biodiversity it contains.
The union of wills is evident, the joint efforts and the possibility of creating an artificial reef and promoting the recycling of large vessels that fulfilled their useful life as naval vessels and that have a second chance to belong to the sea and be part of a home.
Each step requires planning, research and the support of environmental studies. To achieve all the necessary certifications and approvals and with the financing, the cleaning and emptying of the ship can begin until it sinks.