Olurefe community is an agrarian community located at Orile - oje village in Ogo- Oluwa Local Government Area, of Ogbomoso in Oyo State in the South Western part of Nigeria. The population of the people in the community is about 400 people.
The Community Challenge.
One of the perennial challenges in Olurefe Community is the challenge of scarcity of potable water. Due to the topography of the Community, most of the "well" sank do not end up yielding potable water. Therefore, during the dry season which they are now that usually runs for about four months, community resorts to going about in search of water to drink and to use for other domestic activities. Women both young and old, including young men trekked about in search of water for survival.
In the same vein, during the raining season, the community members resolved to collection of rainwater for their use, which is always not hygienic to their health.
Therefore, because of this perennial water challenge in Olurefe Community, they are appealing for drilling of functional borehole in the community.
The Detail Price List
According to the Geophysical/ Hydrogeological report on investigation for ground water development compiled by NOVA Drilling Company a subsidiary of Peacebuilding and Human Development Center and the current prices of materials in Nigeria markets as given by a Civil and Bu ilding Engineer, the following are the price list for drilling of a functional borehole for the community.
1. Cost of drilling the borehole - The identified water level in the community based on survey is 250 meters and the cost of drilling per meter is #4,500 .00. Therefore, the cost of drilling the borehole is 4,500 x 250 =#1,125,000.00
2. 1 horsepower capacity submerged Pumping Machine =#200,000.00.
3. 4000 liters capacity of Overhead Water Tank = #150,000.00.
4. 1-inch flexible Pipes for connection for running of water = #50,000.00.
5. Pumping wire for connecting Pumping Machine to the Power Source = #50,000.00.
6. 3.8 KVA generator for Powering the Pumping Machine = #104,600.00.
7. Construction of concrete Stand for Overhead tank:
A. 10 bags of cement at #3000.00 per bag =#3000* 10 = #33,000.00.
B. 9 inches concrete blocks at #170 per block (120 blocks) = 170*120=#20,400.
C. 12mm Iron Rods (12 rods) = #2500*12=#30,000
D. Wood for form work #8, 000.00.
8. Workmanship for Artisans (Bricklayers, Iron bender, Carpenter and Electrician) = # 125,000.
Total Cost = # 1,896,000 = 4000USD
1USD = 474 naira.
Note: The community will be responsible for any contingency.
Maintenance of the Borehole [ sustainability]
Upon the completion of the functional borehole for the community, the maintenance of the borehole for its continuous use of the community will be taken over by the community members. Peacebuilding and Human Development Center [ PHD] will train two villagers through their engineering program how they will maintain and repair the machine.
Timeline of the project: From September to November 2021
Duration: Seven weeks
Olaoluwa Olugbodi will be directly involved with Peacebuilding and Human Development Center, a Non-Governmental Organization, based in Nigeria. A local Rotarian, Babatunde Steve, that Olaoluwa knows personally and trusts, will monitor the project from beginning to completion.