The Phoenix West Rotary proposes a partnership with the Osborn School District to enhance their outdoor learning environments. During the 2018-2019 school year, 71.5% of the districts students were eligible for free or reduced price lunch. 13.2% were English language learners, and 16% of students had an Individual Education Plan. This partnership will include three elementary schools serving prek-6th grade students.
Principals from these 3 schools have identified the need to enhance their outdoor learning environments. This outdoor space will provide smaller group learning opportunities, along with areas that the children can meditate, relax, reflect and gain appreciation for nature. The Stable Company produced a report from various research studies that demonstrated the following advantages to outdoor learning:
1. Education that involves nature can boost school performance.
2. Outdoor learning improves personal child development.
3. Outdoor learning can improve a Childs well-being; physical, mental and emotional. Outdoor
learning has proven t reduce stress in young learners.
4. Outdoor learning connects children to nature.
5. Outdoor learning gives children a love and appreciation of their natural surroundings.
6. Outdoor learning can improve behaviors.
7. Outdoor learning is more fun for teachers, boosting the enjoyment of their job.
8. Outdoor learning provides practical experience.
If awarded the District Grant, the funding will provide the following equipment to enhance learning spaces outside of the classrooms: benches/seating, picnic tables, fountain/water feature, and shade/umbrella.
The Phoenix West Rotary has a long-time commitment to partnering with the Osborn School District. This partnership has included funding for teacher mini-grants, holiday toy and food baskets, and other "hands on" service projects. The Phoenix West Rotary will not only purchase the equipment for the 3 Elementary Schools through the district grant, but will assist in the installation of the equipment as part of a service project.
If awarded the District Grant, the Phoenix West Rotary will coordinate with Encanto Elementary, Longview Elementary, and Salano Elementary to have the equipment purchased and installed by the beginning of the 2021/2022 school year (weather permitting for installation).
The Phoenix West Rotary will be recognized through the Osborn School Districts Social Media and other communications tools sent to student families.