RC Purulia has completed several Matching Grants in last few years currently working on MG#75628 (1000 IOL Surgeries). RC Purulia is working in the field of Eye Care since its inception in the year 1968 at Purulia, a backward district of West Bengal (India)with a population of 2,535,516 persons. RC Purulia is running two eye hospital of its own - one at Purulia town and other in a village about 30 kms away from the town.
The purpose is to cure blindness due to Cataract in Purulia. India is now home to the world's largest number of blind people. Of the 37 million people across the globe who are blind, over 15 million are from India. 75% of these are cases of avoidable blindness. Eastern India accounts for about 2 million victims of blindness. However about 1.7 million sightless people can be cured by surgery. This project is one small step towards serving this need of the community. Rotarians with active participation of Rotary Club of Purulia Service Centre, managed by Rotary Club of Purulia, will organize Eye Check up camps and successfully conducted 1500 IOL operations. The average cost IOL operation per candidate is Rs. 900/- including the following:
* Rural Eye screening camp is to be organized by the help of Rotarians.
* Screen over 10000 people at Eye Camps and identify at least 1500 eligible patients for IOL surgeries.
* To and fro transportation of the patients.
* Fooding, lodging & IOL implantation to selected patients.
* Providing dark glasses & eye guard.
* Providing Medicines to the operated patients.
This project it will take one to two years to complete from the date of receipt of grant funds.